Thursday, October 05, 2006

Great Article

Check out this week's letter from the editor at Media magazine. Joe Mandese talks about new media and the fundamental shift from analog to digital technologies. The part I love is that he points out the disappearance of chalkboards from American schools and their "whiteboard" replacements (digital boards, marker boards). He makes the point that the "death of a medium" doesn't happen that often. Usually, when new technology emerges it does not mean that the old technologies are doomed.

It reminds me of a class I took in my undergrad days. It was a total yawn, and I don't even remember the name of the course, but I do remember this one class where we discussed the emergence of online magazines, newspapers and digital books. The class erupted into a huge debate: would print as a medium be replaced? Though it may sound a little cliche, my classmates talked about how they loved the smell of an old book and the fact they could read a magazine in the bath tub without being electrocuted. I didn't really expect that level of passion. I guess even party-hard Florida State students like tangible media...

Anyway, interesting article and a good mag issue overall. Read more here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home