Thursday, April 19, 2007

Grief on Facebook

As I obsessively checked my facebook on Monday afternoon, I noticed I had been invited to a new group: God Be With Va Tech (FSU Chapter). Later that night I was invited to be a part of a candle-lit vigil on our campus's main green the following night. Thousands of students have joined similar groups on facebook and have organized vigils all over the country. And all of this occurred the same day the shootings took place.
I really hope some vigilant grad student (which will not be me, sorry guys) does a study on this. I think it is incredible that so many people can come together so quickly and so decisively through the web. This is the kind of stuff that makes me believe that social networks like facebook have a long future ahead of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home