Friday, February 09, 2007

Catching up on my Reading


Lots of good books have come my way as of late. Almost done reading Pour Your Heart Into it by Howard Shultz, CEO of Starbucks. The book is all about how Howard lead Starbucks to glory. I love the book. Probably because I love the coffee. It gets a little "look how great we are," but I've enjoyed it. I have now become an official Starbucks know-it-all ("um, actually the name comes from a character in Moby Dick...Starbucks only roasts their beans dark...frappuchino was the name of a drink made by a company Starbucks bought out").

Also reading the Ten Faces of Innovation, by Tom Kelly. This book is about the different personality types used by companies to get rid of the devils advocate in the workplace. Ten Faces comes from IDEO, quite possibly the coolest company ever. I bought a couple extra copies of the book to send to cool people I meet along the way. *A bit of advice I've taken to heart - give useful/relevant books as gifts. People love getting them and it can help them along in their career. I think this is especially important for advertising/communications professionals. Also send handwritten thank you cards.

Lastly, my sis bought me an oldie but goodie, Boogers are my Beat, by Dave Barry. A little Miami nostalgia. If you're from the 305 (or M-I-A), you'll fall over laughing at his collection of old Herald columns. If you're not a native, you'll still fall over. Makes me homesick. Almost.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gotten so so damn behind in my biz book reading lately. There's a ton I'm working my way through, my latest I'm starting tonight is:

http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Wired-Tweens-Really-Online/dp/0312360126/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6309130-8927369?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173934005&sr=8-1

Too much info to absorb :)

Jake
communityguy.com

March 15, 2007 12:48 AM  
Blogger michelle marts said...

Yea I get in and out of the business books. After a few of those, I need a good novel!

March 15, 2007 8:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You might enjoy this spoof of IDEO's book, The Ten Faces of Innovation at:

http://cantankerousconsultant.blogspot.com/2007/03/ten-faces-of-innovation.html

Dieter Prucker
The Cantankerous Consultant
http://cantankerousconsultant.blogspot.com/

April 03, 2007 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home